This is one of approximately 2,000 brass variations of the Walch Double Hammer Revolver manufactured from 1860 to 1862 for John Walch and partner J.P. Lindsay by New Haven Arms Company. This scarce revolver fires ten shots from five chambers. The cylinder is twice as long, so that two loads can be put in the same chamber. There is a channel leading from the front load to the right nipple and the left nipple fires directly into the rear of the chamber. When the trigger is pulled, the right hammer drops, firing the front load, the trigger must be released before it can be pulled a second time to fire the rear load. The top barrel flat has the two line New York address/1859 patent date marking. The matching serial number is marked on the frame under the grip and on the cylinder pin. Brass cone front sight and a notch in the left hammer serves as the rear sight. Fitted with smooth varnished walnut grips. It is known that some of the Walch revolvers were privately purchased and carried by Union soldiers during the Civil War.
Good. The metal surfaces have a brown patina with a few minor dings on the barrel lug around the wedge and some minor flash pitting on the rear of the cylinder. The frame has a natural dark aged patina with the remnants of varnish. The grips are very good as re-varnished showing a few minor dents. The barrel marking is crisp and clear. Mechanically functions, although cylinder loosely locks up.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot