Andrew Wurfflein's shop was at 208 N. 2nd Street in Philadelphia and manufactured, sold, repaired, and imported firearms. He immigrated to the U.S. from Germany in 1832, first worked at 335 N. 3rd Street from 1845 until he opened his shop above in 1851 where he manufactured Derringer-style pistols and sporting rifles, and retired in 1871. His son William took over the business and ran it until 1915. Attractive acanthus scrollwork and floral engraving is found on the breech, upper tang, lock, and German silver furniture. The muzzle is turned down for use with a starter. It also features blade and notch sights, additional empty front and rear dovetails (one with adjustment lines) likely used for mounting a tube sight or early rifle scope, "A. WURFFLEIN/PHILA" on the upper left barrel flat at the breech, gold banded breech, upper tang tap for mounting a peep sight or post for supporting the rear of a scope, double set triggers, spurred trigger guard, "AH" inscribed initial plate on the left side of the wrist, and nicely figured stock with checkered wrist, shadow-line cheek rest, and a glossy varnish finish.
Very good with the original blue finish fading to a plum brown along the barrel, traces of original case colors, bright original gold bands, light aging of the German silver, crisp engraving, and mild overall wear. The re-varnished stock is fine and has some chips and slivers absent from the edges of the forend, the vast majority of the varnish remaining, attractive flame figure on the butt, crisp checkering, and scattered small pressure marks and dings. Mechanically fine.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot