This is a Starr cartridge carbine from the group of 5,002 manufactured by the Starr Arms Company of Yonkers, New York. Approximately 2,000 Starr cartridge carbines were delivered to the U.S. Ordnance Department between March and May 1865 during the last weeks of the Civil War. This scarce example is marked with a "broad arrow/WD" stamp on the right of the buttstock indicating it is likely one of approximately 1,000 carbines purchased after the Civil War in 1866 by the British War Department for use by Canada, with approximately 800 issued to the Provincial Marine (Royal Canadian Navy) units, mainly to guard the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence River, Lake Champlain and the Bay of Fundy, and approximately 200 issued to the Canadian Militia. Since the British government had already purchased Spencer rifles for use in Canadian service, these Starr cartridge carbines were well received due to being chambered for the 56-52 Spencer rimfire round, allowing ammunition interchangeability. Features a standard blade front sight, flip-up leaf rear sight, and sling ring mounted on the left of the receiver. "S.T.B" (Samuel T. Bugbee) inspection initials marked on the left of the breech and two boxed script "STB" inspection cartouches stamped on the left wrist of the stock. Serial number "38363" marked on the right breech. British sold out of service mark on the left of the barrel.
Exceptionally fine, retains 90% plus original blue finish on the barrel, 70% original case colors with smooth brown patina and a few areas of scattered light freckling on the balance, and sharp markings and edges in the metal. Wood is very fine with defined edges, numerous scattered dings and scratches, a few minor chips, and crisp stampings. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot