The U.S. Navy contracted 3,000 of these pistols in 1808. Out of his first factory located in Berlin, Connecticut, Simeon North manufactured and delivered the entire contract over the next two years. It was his second contract, and the first under which the pistols were intended to have interchangeable parts, lending to the importance of the Model 1808 pistol in American manufacturing history. These pistols saw significant use during the War of 1812 against the British, as they were the only pistols made for the infant U.S. Navy. The lock is marked with a spread wing eagle over "U.STATES." in front of the hammer and "S.NORTH/BERLIN./CON." vertically at the tail. The barrel is correctly unmarked. The flash pan, trigger guard, butt cap, ramrod pipe and left side plate are brass, the remaining parts are iron. Absent belt hook on the left flat. Mounted with a walnut stock with no visible inspection marks and a replacement hickory ramrod. This exact pistol is pictured on page 28 of the book "U.S. Martial Single Shot Pistols" by Daniel D. Hartzler and James B. Whisker. Provenance: The J. Eichlin Collection; The Robert A. Sadler Collection; Property of a Gentleman
Very good with scattered light to moderate pitting with areas of artificially enhanced brown patina and mostly clear markings on the lock. Absent belt hook as mentioned above. Brass displays bright as lightly cleaned. Wood is also very good as sanded and refinished with scattered light dents and scratches, various re-glued cracks, and some filled in areas around the lock. Mechanically fine.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot