This is a fine example of a U.S. contract Model 1836 pistol that was manufactured by Asa H. Waters of Milbury, Massachusetts, in 1838. The Model 1836 was the last and arguably finest of the flintlock U.S. martial pistols. It was the primary handgun issued to the U.S. Dragoons and Mounted Rifles during the Mexican-American War and continued to be used into the Civil War after being converted for percussion caps. This example appears to have seen little, if any, use at all and is still in its original flintlock configuration. It has a rounded blade front sight, a dished oval rear sight on the barrel tang, a swivel mounted ramrod, a detachable brass flash pan, "US./JH/P" (weakly stamped from the factory) marked on the breech of the barrel, an eagle head above "A. WATERS/MILBURY. MS./1838" on the center of the lock, single letter inspection marks on various components, besides the sear spring screw marked "U" there are all matching "S" small assembly marks on the inside components of the lock including the brass flash pan indicating this is still in its original flintlock configuration, and crisp oval script "LF" (Lewis Foster Jr.) and boxed script "M.P.L." (Mann Paige Lomax) inspection cartouches stamped on the left stock flat.
Fine, retains its "National Armory Bright" style polished iron surfaces with a few scattered occasional small patches of light pitting and sharp markings and edges in the metal surfaces. The brass flash pan retains a pleasing original golden aged patina. Stock is very fine with defined edges, some scattered light handling marks and crisp cartouches. Mechanically excellent. This solid representative example of an Asa Waters contract U.S. Model 1836 flintlock pistol would make a fine addition to any U.S. martial collection!
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot