A reported 1,002 Ball carbines were manufactured on contract starting in 1864 and delivered after the end of the Civil War. The Ball carbine uses a seven-shot tubular magazine similar to the Henry and later Winchesters. Interestingly, Winchester and Smith & Wesson both purchased E.G. Lamson & Co.'s machinery after the war. Fixed blade front and folding ladder rear sight, cleaning rod on the right side of the forearm, "E.G. LAMSON & CO./WINDSOR. VT./U.S./BALLS PATENT./ JUNE.23.1863./MAR. 15.1846." marked on the left of the receiver, saddle ring and bar mounted on the left of the receiver, smooth two-band forearm and straight grip stock with a boxed script "GGS" (George G. Saunders) cartouche stamped on the left of the wrist and fitted with a steel crescent buttplate.
Very good, retains 40% faded original blue finish on the barrel with patterns of the muted original case colors on the receiver and components, scattered moderate spotting overall, and sharp markings on the receiver. Wood is also fine with defined edges, numerous scattered scratches and dents, and a crisp cartouche. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot