The Remington Percussion Cane Gun was patented by John F. Thomas, Remington's master mechanic, on 9 February 1858. These canes were one of the first civilian firearms produced by Remington, and they were the only major American manufacturer to produce one. It is estimated that between 1858 and 1866 only 500 of the percussion cane guns were manufactured, with many of them later being converted to .32 Rimfire. This example is one of approximately 2,000 originally manufactured in .32 RF. Along with that, this particular example has the "dog's head" handle, which is fashioned out of a darker brown or black toned gutta percha, likely due to sun fading. Though the "dog's head" handle is not necessarily the most rare handle variation seen on these canes, it is often cited as the most desirable. The shaft is sleeved in brown gutta percha. There is a small German silver band where the handle meets the shaft and an iron ferrule at the tip/muzzle which appears to be unmarked. It measures 31 1/4 inches overall.
Very good, the gutta percha showing mostly an attractive chocolate tone overall with some mild fading, a few hairline cracks in the shaft, some adhesive residue near the top, a carved curving line near the bottom, and some scattered minor handling marks. The iron ferrule shows some mild brown patina and the German silver band is mostly bright. Mechanically fine.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot