The Roper Repeating Rifle Co. only manufactured these shotguns around 1869-1876 in Hartford, Connecticut, based on designs by Sylvester H. Roper. They are some of the first metallic cartridge repeating shotguns. Roper was also the designer of the first shotgun choke and later went on to invent the first commercially successful pump-action shotguns with Christopher Spencer of Spencer Repeating Rifle fame, steam powered bicycles and buggies, and others. The drum holds four shots, and the casings return to the drum after being fired. Cocking the hammer extracts the fired cartridge and advances the action to the next round. It features a variable threaded choke at the muzzle, a steel post front sight, a sighting groove along the top of the frame at the breech, matching serial numbers (forearm, barrel, frame, and bolt), pewter forearm caps, and 14 1/4 inch length of pull.
Very fine with 95% plus original blue finish, 75% plus lightly fading original case colors on the action, traces of case colors and a smooth light brown patina on the buttplate, and minor overall wear. The stock and forearm are also very fine and have smooth oiled finish, some light dings and scratches, minor flakes by the toe, and minor overall wear. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot