New House No.15 Bear Trap This large bear trap weighing in at about 17 1/2 pounds was manufactured c. 1895 to 1905 by the Sewell Newhouse firm of Oneida County, New York. He began making traps in the early 1800s, at first by using metal scraps from his father's blacksmith shop. In 1849, Newhouse joined a religious community started by John Humphrey Noyes and continued making traps by hand. The business gradually grew until becoming a primary manufacturing operation for the community. Their primary sellers were always smaller traps, such as those for beaver, with reported sales in 1864 being 7,250 beaver traps compared to only 30 bear traps, making these large game traps incredibly scarce. This is the No. 15 variation, which has the "S. NEWHOUSE/No 15./KENWOOD.N.Y." markings on the pan in raised lettering and the offset jaws with exposed teeth.
Good, showing a rough brown patina overall with extensive oxidation, as is typical of these traps, with the markings remaining legible. Appears to be mechanically functional. These traps are very desirable and would make an excellent addition to a vintage sporting gun display!
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot