This Sharps was originally manufactured in 1863-1865 as a percussion carbine for use in the Civil War, and was one of 31,098 carbines returned by the U.S. Government to Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Co. in 1867, who received a contract for refurbishment and alteration of their rifles for use with metallic cartridges. This example features a sleeved barrel with three-groove rifling done at the time of alteration, and standard markings and features. "F" inspection initials marked on the left flat of the breech end of the barrel. Script "DFC" (David F. Clark) ribbon inspection cartouche marked on the left center of the buttstock, typically found on these rebuilt alteration carbines.
Very good, exhibiting strong traces of arsenal refurbished blue finish and case colors mostly in protected areas with a mix of smooth gray and brown patina on the balance and scattered areas of light freckling. Modern replacement front sight blade. Wood is also very good with numerous scattered light scratches and dents, period professionally modified cut sections on either side at the tip of the forend, a minor small crack ahead of the buttplate tang, and a crisp cartouche. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot