Manufactured circa 1800-1810. William Ketland & Co., wholesale manufacturers of guns and pistols, are recorded working at 2 Scots Yard, Bush Lane, Cannon Street 1785-87, at 10 Cannon Street 1788-9, at 23 Abchurch Lane, Lombard Street, London 1790-95, possibly there also in 1800, and at Angel Court Throgmorton Street, London 1795-1800. Thereafter, the business is registered to Steelhouse Lane & Whittall Street Birmingham 1808-31. The proof marks on the barrel are inspired by the arms of Ketland and were adopted by the Birmingham Proof House in 1813. The brass barrel is of four stages flaring at the muzzle and divided by turned moldings. The octagonal to polygonal breech section is signed “LONDON” and struck with private Tower proof marks. The sprung bayonet of hollow triangular section is fitted beneath the barrel, and the iron ramrod is housed on the left side. The engraved iron tang has a sighting groove. The brass, flat bevelled lock has a stepped tail and is signed “KETLAND & CO.” and has iron fittings comprising safety catch, cock, and frizzen with roller. Figured walnut, half length stock fitted with engraved brass furniture including a trigger guard incorporating the bayonet release. "DE" is marked behind the trigger guard tang. Bore estimated.
Fine. The brass parts have clear engraving throughout, light aged patina, minor marks and scratches, and a few darker areas. The iron parts have a grey patina, minor pitting, and clear engraving. The stock is also fine and has scattered age related storage and handling marks. Mechanically excellent, including the sprung bayonet which snaps into position when released.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot