"N. LEWIS MAKER TROY N.Y" marked on top of the rib. Nelson Lewis' (1811-1888) shop was located at Congress and Church Street in Troy, New York, where he was an active gunmaker starting in 1843 and continuing for more than forty years. The rifled left barrel measures at approximately .40 caliber with the smoothbore right barrel measuring at approximately 20 gauge. The solid rib is fitted with a hooded silver blade front sight and an empty dovetailed slot for a rear sight, with a flip-up tang mounted peep sight. The rifle is mounted with a straight grip half stock with a silver forend cap, eagle plaque and patchbox, and casehardened upper tang, locks, hammers, trigger guard with pineapple finial, and buttplate. Features fine floral scroll and border engraving on all of the fittings minus the barrels, with a finely detailed German silver patriotic eagle plaque on the left side cheekpiece, and a bear scene on the patchbox door. Complete with a brass tipped double sided wooden ramrod for use with each barrel.
Very fine, retains 70% attractive original brown twist finish on the barrels with some light wear at either end, and mostly clear markings on the rib. Mostly smooth gray patina on the casehardened surfaces with strong patterns of vivid case colors in protected areas. Silver fittings remain bright. Crisp engraving overall. The rib is lightly separating at the muzzle end. Stock is fine as re-oiled, with a hairline crack visible between the front of the comb and upper tang, a two inch scratch visible on the right of the buttstock ahead of the patchbox, some scattered light handling marks, and defined edges. Mechanically fine.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot