The Perry breech loaders were designed by Alonzo D. Perry and manufactured by the Perry Patent Arms Co. around the mid-1850s in limited numbers (estimated under 1,500) in multiple variations, including pistols, carbines, sporting rifles, and double rifles. The company was incorporated on July 15, 1853, and the rifles were still being advertised in Alabama by C. Suter at least as late as December of 1861. The barrels for the rifles have been seen with different barrel maker's marks. This one has a partial "REMINGTON/CAST-STEEL" marking on the bottom left and "60" at the muzzle. It has a primer tube inserted through the stock that feeds primers through the back of the frame. This classic sporting rifle features attractive scroll and border engraving on the frame, breechblock, buttplate and lever and also has a dovetailed blade front sight, adjustable notch rear sight, German silver wedge escutcheons and pewter forend cap on the forend, "A.D. PERRY/PATENTED" and "PERRY PATENT ARM Co/NEWARK N.J./1855" on the breechblock, matching serial numbers on top at the breech and also repeated in concealed areas on several other components.
Very fine overall. The extra coverage engraving is very finely executed and remains crisp. The action has 60% plus of the bright high polish original blue finish remaining, concentrated most heavily on the left side and breechblock, and smooth gray and brown patina on the balance. The buttplate retains 50% of the original bright blue. The barrel has an original smooth "tobacco" brown finish on the visible portions and remains in the white on the muzzle and under the forearm. The sights also retain strong original niter blue finish. The refinished wood has some attractive figure on the left side of the butt, minor edge wear, and a few scratches and dents. Mechanically excellent. Very few of these rifles were made, and this rifle with its attractive engraving and is quite exceptional.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot