"Bakers" signed on the lock. Melchior Baker of Georges Township in Fayette County, Pennsylvania was an active gunmaker between circa 1781-1804. He established an arms factory with the financial backing of Albert Gallatin, and supplied the state and national governments with broadswords and muskets. Gallatin joined Thomas Jefferson's cabinet in 1801 as the Secretary of the Treasury and withdrew from the gunmaking firm, disposing of his interest to Baker, who continued the operation with the assistance of his sons. An 1804 dated payment of $1,333.33 for arms furnished to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is known, indicating they were active at least until then, and would subsequently close when the government armories, Springfield and Harpers Ferry, went into large scale production. This flintlock pistol features a roller frizzen and light engraving on the barrel tang, trigger guard and butt pommel. It appears to have been made with intent for sale to an officer.
Good, with dark brown patina overall, scattered light pitting, and clear engraving and lock marking. Brass fittings exhibit darkened and bright patinas. Stock is also good with numerous scattered scratches, dents, cracks, chips, an absent section at the front left tip of the forend, and period filled in repairs at the edges. Mechanically fine.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot