This Sharps was originally manufactured in 1863-1865 as a percussion carbine for use in the Civil War, and was one of 31,098 carbines returned by the U.S. Government to Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Co. in 1867, who received a contract for refurbishment and alteration of their rifles for use with metallic cartridges. This is one of around 1,900 altered carbines with a spring loaded firing pin that retains its original .52 caliber six-groove rifling, intended to fire the 50-70 centerfire round. "C" and "E.A.W" inspection initials marked on the left flat of the breech end of the barrel. Script "DFC" (David F. Clark) ribbon inspection cartouche marked on the left center of the buttstock, typically found on these metallic cartridge conversion carbines. Initials "MR" carved on the right of the buttstock. Absent primer feed mechanism (does not affect function of the gun).
Exceptionally fine, retains 95% plus arsenal refurbished blue finish on the barrel with some light wear around the muzzle, and 85% plus vivid arsenal refurbished case colors on the frame. Wood is excellent with distinct edges, a few light handling marks and dents, and a crisp cartouche. Mechanically excellent. One will look a long time to find a better example!
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot