Manufactured c. 1880s, this sword is etched for the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, which were formed in 1881. It was manufactured by S.J. Pillin of London, identified by the proved slug on the right ricasso and retailed by Blackmore & Co. of London, whose mark is on the left ricasso. The double edged blade (unsharpened) measures 32 7/8 inches long and 1 3/16 inches wide at the ricassos, with two deep fullers running roughly half the length. The blade is extensively etched on both sides with floral patterns, royal cyphers of Princess Louise, the motto of the regiment split between both sides, and a tiger on the left and a boars head on the right. The royal coat of arms is on the left above the retailer's mark. The guard is of the typical "advanced" 1828 Highland Pattern pierced with mostly hearts and the pommel is a fluted dome with a finial pierced for a tassel. The grip is wire wrapped shagreen. Includes a nickeled iron scabbard. Provenance: The Collection of Joe M. Wanenmacher Jr
Very good, showing mostly a bright grey patina on the blade with most of the etching crisp. The hilt shows a mix of bright lightly cleaned grey patina and some light surface oxidation/brown patina in sheltered areas. The grip shows some light wear and slightly loose wire wrap. The scabbard is fine with some scattered mild flaking of the nickel plating.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot