Manufactured in 1913, the second year of production for the U.S. contract Colt Model 1911 pistol. It is listed on p. 515 of "U.S. Military Automatic Pistols: 1894-1920" by Ellis/Meadows as being included in a 500 gun shipment to Rock Island Arsenal on 21 January 1913. The serial number is marked on the right of the frame above the trigger guard and the left side has the U.S. property marking and the "WGP" inspection mark. The slide has the two-line, two-block patent dates and address on the left with the circled Rampant Colt behind the slide serrations and the model and army nomenclature on the right. The full blue barrel is marked "5" on the bottom and "H" on the rear edge of the chamber hood. It has blade front and the correct early round-top notch rear sight, which were beginning to be phased out in 1913. It is fitted with a long smooth trigger, checkered slide release and thumb safety, short grip safety, wide checkered hammer, and a smooth straight mainspring housing with a lanyard loop on the base. The grips are diamond pattern checkered and the magazine is two-tone with a lanyard loop on the base. Provenance: The Paul Crockett Jr. Collection
Excellent, retains 95% plus of the bright original blue finish with the balance having thinned to a smooth grey patina, mostly on the front edges of the slide and the grip straps, and a light takedown mark. The grips are also excellent with a few scattered light blemishes in the otherwise crisp checkering. Mechanically excellent.