All frames of the .44 Double Action First Model Revolver were manufactured between 1881 and 1898, but this model was listed in the company catalogs and sold up until 1913. This example has the rare Bridgeport rig stud on the sideplate. The Bridgeport rig, which is not included with this lot, was patented by Louis S. Flatau of Pittsburg, Texas, in 1882 and manufactured by the Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. of Bridgeport, Connecticut. Approximately 500 units were manufactured for U.S. Army trial issue and were attached to Model 1874 saber belts at the Rock Island Arsenal. The rig allowed for a revolver to be quickly disengaged from the belt or swiveled and fired from the belt. The Army determined that it was not suitable for issue and sold the remaining devices as surplus. A smaller number of the Bridgeport rigs were manufactured for the civilian market where it enjoyed limited success among those on the Western frontier. The revolver wears a set of plain pearl grips and is fitted with a factory lanyard ring on the butt. Matching serial number appears on the butt, cylinder, barrel, and barrel latch. Provenance: The Supica Collection
Very fine, retaining 95% period replated nickel plating. 98% vivid original case colors remain on the hammer and trigger. The grips are very fine with slight chipping and attractive fiery colors. Mechanically excellent. An interesting S&W .44 Double Action First Model Revolver with Bridgeport rig stud.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot