Share this item:
This exceptional serial number "19" is possibly the earliest known, all original, unaltered and complete cased Borchardt pistol rig that is in existence today. This beautiful example includes the original matching wooden shoulder stock, the original black leather holster, four matching numbered original walnut based magazines, carrying strap, spare dummy magazine with brass oiler on the end, original silver oil bottle, screwdriver, and the original black leatherette carrying case that houses the pistol, stock and accessories. It also includes a walnut cheekpiece numbered "351" on the backside. This cased Borchardt is without a doubt the earliest most fully complete Borchardt pistol rig that we've ever had the pleasure to offer for sale. This outstanding early production example was very likely a special order gift or a private purchase, as the top of the lid has a small oval silver name plate that has been nicely inscribed in a jeweler's/presentation style with "J.L Childs/Floral Park/L.I." (Floral Park, Long Island). The overall condition and originality of the pistol itself and the various accessories is outstanding and would be nearly impossible to upgrade or improve on. These Model 1893 Borchardt pistols were the true forerunner of the world famous and historic Luger pistol. The Borchardt pistol employed the unique toggling breech mechanism which was eventually adopted and refined by Georg Luger and was used throughout production of the Luger pistol from 1900-through 1942. The right side of the barrel extension is marked "SYSTEM BORCHARDT. PATENT." with the top of the toggle mechanism carrying the German patent markings of "D.R.P./No. 75837", and the chamber is marked "WAFFENFABRIK/LOEWE/BERLIN". The left side of the breechblock, toggle mechanism and barrel extension all have the early German commercial proofs consisting of a crown over "B" and "U", with the left rear section of the barrel marked with crown over "B", "U", and "G" proofs over "172,28". It is fitted with the original checkered walnut grips along with the original varnished border around the checkered panel in the center section of each grip. As noted, it has four original matching numbered, nickel plated magazines with their original walnut base with the two-digit serial number running lengthwise down on the wooden base of each magazine. The original walnut shoulder stock is complete with the original blued attaching mechanism, the original black leather holster, which is still attached to the side of the walnut shoulder stock, as well as the original leather stock attaching straps with the original shoulder carrying strap. This is an outstanding example of an extremely early, historic cased 1893 Borchardt semi-automatic pistol rig that was personally owned by J. L. Childs as inscribed on the case plaque. John Lewis Childs (May 13, 1856-March 6, 1921) was an early entrepreneur who made his early fortune in the horticulture business. He was an early supplier of high end seeds for all kinds of fruits, vegetables and flowers and eventually founded the very first American seed catalog in 1874. His business flourished immensely, and, as his wealth grew, he purchased a considerable amount of land and rental property in the East Hinsdale, and Queens County New York area. He eventually amassed more than 1,000 acres of land for his seed business in the St. James and Eastern Long Island, New York area and around the Hinsdale Post Office, eventually renaming this entire area as Floral Park, choosing to name the streets and avenues for flowers and trees that he grew in his seed business. He was responsible for building more than 20 buildings in the Floral Park area, mainly hotels, lumber mills and his own printing press business to print his catalogs. He also provided a huge plot of land for a public park, built the first school, and served as the first mayor of Floral Park. He was also an enthusiastic ornithologist and had one of the largest private collections that contained more than 1,100 mounted North American birds.
Excellent with 97% of the original blue finish overall with only minor edge wear with some minor browning/freckling on the grip straps and top of the receiver, with the toggles showing a different shade of blue as originally heat treated. The grips are also excellent with nice distinct checkering on both grips with the left grip showing some very minor handling marks. Mechanically excellent. The walnut board stock is also excellent with the attaching iron and screw also showing 97% original blue finish with minor edge wear and some scattered minor freckling. The leather holster is good and shows some of the shiny black surface with the balance flaked off. The attaching straps are very good, with good color and tight stitching. The leather shoulder strap is also very good with nice tight stitching showing 60% of the black leather face with the balance also flaking off. All of the magazines are very fine with excellent original walnut bases, while the nickel plated magazine bodies are very good plus overall with three of them showing old rust stains with some minor pitting in a few places. The black leather case is fine with most of the original leather cover still remaining, numerous handling marks, scratches and pressure dents on the case overall. The lower edges of the lid show some separation on the front and sides and the case has all the original hinges, locks and raised brass tacks on the corners, with a shiny appearance on the original name plate on the lid. The green felt lining is still on the inside. The case has done its job over the years in protecting all the items inside. A wonderful and very interesting high condition early production two-digit serial number Borchardt pistol rig with four matching magazines, a matching shoulder stock and inscribed case that would be nearly impossible to improve upon.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot