Because of the rapid speed that a Spencer carbine could be fired, a special box needed to be designed to hold cartridges for loading. Erasmus Blakeslee patented this box late in 1864. U.S. Government contracts for over 30,000 boxes were delivered to the War Department but few were used in the Civil War. This particular box is one made by E. Gaylord of Chicopee, Mass and the markers mark consists of a large cartouche on front of box "BLAKESLEES CARTRIDGE BOX/US / PAT'D DEC 20 1864/E GAYLORD/CHICOPEE/MASS". This box is constructed with a wood block with tin covering and leather over that. The wood block holds 10 magazine tubes which would hold 7 Spencer cartridges each. It has a hinged leather lid with fastening strap and brass securing stud on the body. There is a carrying leather strap attached to box.
Very good. There is a small area of separated stitching on each side at the top of the box and some minor age cracking overall. There was another strap on the bottom rear of the box which is now absent and there are two brass riveted loops that the strap went through. All ten magazine tubes are present and are fine with a few having solder repairs on the seam.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot