The Remington Cane Gun was designed by John F. Thomas, Remington's master mechanic. It is estimated that between 1858 and 1866 only 500 of the percussion cane guns were manufactured, with many of them later being converted to .32 Rimfire. This example remains in its original percussion configuration making it even more scarce. Along with that, this particular example has the scarce "bulbous" handle, which has been noted as one of the more rare of the handle types. The handle is fashioned out of the same brown gutta percha as the shaft. There is a small silver band where the handle meets the shaft and a serrated iron ferrule at the tip/muzzle which is marked with the "J.F. Thomas patent", "Feb'y 9 1858", "E. Remington and Sons" markings, as well as the serial number, "93". It measures 32 inches overall. Provenance: The Milan J. Turk Collection
Fine, showing mostly the original brown of the gutta percha with a few minor cracks in the upper portion of the shaft, slightly loose handle, and otherwise scattered minor handling marks. The iron ferrule shows a smooth grey patina and attractive antique patina on the silver. Mechanical adjustment needed as the striker does not cock.